1. Devotional culture:
Paulinus Bartholomaeo( Viaggio Alle Indie Orientali,Roma1796,p.137) recorded that ‘ near a church at Angamale there were small cells belonging to certain families, and that members of these families used from time to time to retire to those cells for prayer and solitude’.
2. Church Architecture:
A typical northern side view of St. Marys jacobite church, Angamaly. Till the end of the 16th century the native St.Thomas Christians were all adopting the genuine customs of the East Syrian Rite. But, it is interesting to see that while adopting the East Syrian Rite for their worship, the St. Thomas Christians followed their own traditional methods in church architecture. The churches were rectangular buildings divided into sanctuary, choir and nave. Externally, they looked like non Christian kovils(temples)-
3. At Angamaly, there were three ancient churches in a straight street within one kilometer distance; and the walls of these churches were built by laterite stones without plastering about 150 years ago. The floors of the churches were used to be painted with cow dung
4. Bishop Roz S.J.(1599-1624):
Bishop Roz was the first Latin Bishop of Malabar church. The text of the most solemn Qurbana prepared by him in 1603 in the Synod of Angamaly is kept in the monastery of Mananam
5. Banyan tree:
If one comes across a church with a Banyan tree (Alu maram) and a plat form ( Al thara) around it , there is no wonder , because there are some special rights conferred on the St Thomas Christians in the copper plates by the Maharajahs of Kerala. Banyan trees located nearby the St George church, Angamaly and Agaparambu (Angamaly) church were cut down years back. (Photograph: Banyan trees attached with Agaparambu church-no more).
6. The location of Belfry:
over the arch shaped madubaha of St George church, Angamaly.This peculiar bell was brought from Portugal in 15th century
7. Peacocks, tigers,hunters, angles,etc were commonly depicted imageries outside the sanctuary- Jacobite church, Agaparambu(Angamaly)
8. Remains of pulpit-Roof (cap ) of the pulpit- St George church , Angamaly. Pulpits are floral structures carved out in wood and fixed to the church wall above 10 feet height, to facilitate a commanding position for the priest to address the worshippers during olden days.
9. Arnos padri- (Fr. John Ernestus Hauxledon) ;the Hungarian missionary came to Kerala in 1699 and did great service in Malayalam language and Literature. He was taught Malayalam and Sanskrit by two Namboodris of Angamaly, namely Kunjan and Krishanan. His puthenpana is very famous.
10. Confessional: St. George Church, Angamaly- the wooden structure with different compartments in which penitents sit either side of the priest.
11. St Hormis church, Angamaly: St. Hormisdas or St. Hormis Abbot was a Chaldean saint of the 7th century. He was a monk in the monastry of Robban Bar-Etha. At Angamally, the Eastern Church (Cathedral church) was dedicated to his name. But the name of St. Hormis Abbot was replaced by St. Hormis, in the Udaymperor synod (1599),Xth decree, by attributing St Hormis Abbot as Nestorian .
12. Sacramenatal dresses (pina) of priests: preserved at St George church, Angamaly. In ancient days the sacramental dresses of priests were fabricated . with costly special silk threads affixing gold metal buttons and threads.
13. Inside view of the ruined façade of ancient St. George Church, Angamaly(16th century) by Tippu’s attack(1790). The dimensions of this church were as follows: Height of façade 34feet, length 71 feet and width
21 feet. After Tippu’s attack on this church, Governodor Thomas Paremakal took initiation to construct another new church, at the northern side of the ruined church.
14. Wooden carved railings inside the St. George church- to separate men and women believers during the sacramental service time. Men would occupy the front portion of the church. Carved features of hunters, elephants etc fixed on the railings were noteworthy. A 4feet height, offering hexagonal box, made of copper metal with bronze belt, fixed on the church floor also possesses antique value.
15. Broken pieces of open air rock cross, by truck accident in 1969- lying in the compound of East church (St. Hormis church), Angamaly This cross was considered to be the most ancient cross in Kerala, in this category.
16. The famous Thura- old boat jetty with laterite steps on the banks of the river Manjaly (old Periyar). This river was the main source for the developmentof unique Christian culture during the sangam period itself at Male( Angamale).During the great flood in A.D.1341, this river diverted its route from Naithode- Chetikode regions by depositing silt. Now this river strip actually starts from Thura which is spreaded with payals.
17. Victms of revolt, 13 June 1959- 7 Martyrs tomb is guarded by an angel carrying with cross- The revolt emerged from all Kerala liberation struggle against communist ruled Govt.( see Clippings)
18. Remains of ancient rock structures- lying near the premises of Akaparambu church- it is believed that these peculiar huge carved structures were the part of sacred religious structures(kovils)
19. Holy water pot- this amusing huge (20 inches dia) special rock holy water pot, fixed on the nave wall of the church, adjacent to the elephant door of St. George church, Angamaly)
20. Laterite and rock type baptismal fonts – St George church, Angamaly. Baptismal font in Laterite stone is very ancient and rare.
21. Ancient porters rest (1857) - this rock shelter is located on the way of olden spice route of Angamaly. Two vertical rock pillars are supported by horizontal natural rock beam
22. The main alter of old cathedral church (16th century) – St. Hormis church, built by Mar. Abraham. It is to be noted that there were no pictures or statues of St. Mary or any other saints, displayed on the main alter; which strengthen the chaldean (Nestorian) dispute. Mar Abraham was buried in front of this alter and the burial square lies with out any inscriptions about his identity.
23. History sleeps in a private property( Sathiya prakasani press/ Daniel Bible Ministry) near St. Marys Churh, Angamaly- Huge rock pillars, pots, precious stones etc of demolished edifices of Managattu Kingdom ( Black King,16th century) and other archaeological elements are still lying over land surface, covered with soil and grasses-a thrust area for researchers, church historians, archaeologists, etc. – can bring out the hidden facts about the relations with Archidecons and local rulers during 16-18th centuries.
24. Centuries old tombs of Bishops – Cemetry of St marys Syrian Jacobite church, Angamaly
25. Four centuries old mamouth compound wall and the eastern gate- the eastern entrance to St George church, Angamaly was closed with the extension of cemetery.